- Some of our documents may be in the following file formats. pdf. doc. txt. html.
- To view PDF documents, you will need to have the latest free Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Note, you will be leaving this site, follow the instruction on the Adobe website. After installing Adobe Reader, you will be able to view PDF documents.
Freedom of Information Act Service
Who We Are
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides that any person has a right of access to Federal agency records, except to the extent that such records are protected from release by a FOIA exemption or a special law enforcement record exclusion.
What We Do
It is VA’s policy to release information to the fullest extent under the law. The VA has a decentralized system for handling FOIA requests.
FOIA Law and Guidance
VA FOIA Service ensures that VA policies comply with Federal regulatory requirements and legislative mandates and it promulgates those policies throughout the VA.
VA FOIA Regulations and Policies
- Veterans Affairs Directive 6300 – Records and Information Management (February 26, 2009)
- Veterans Affairs Handbook 6300.3 – Procedures for Implementing the Freedom of Information Act (January 12, 1998)
- 38 CFR Part 1 and 2 – Release of Information from Department of Veterans Affairs Records
- CFR 1.460 – 1.474 – Release of Information from Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Records Relating to Drug Abuse
- CFR 1.475 – 1.484 – Disclosures With Patient Consent
- CFR 1.485 – 1.489 – Disclosures Without Patient Consent
- CFR 1.490 – 1.499 – Court Orders Authorizing Disclosures and Use
- CFR 1.500 – 1.527 – Release of Information from Department of Veterans Affairs Claimant Records
- CFR 1.575 – 1.584 – Safeguarding Personal Information in Department of Veterans Affairs Records
- CFR 1.460 – 1.599 – GPO Version of 38
Other Useful Sites