Accountant Job Description
Accountant job description to adapt for your own use. The description outlines what you need to know about the common tasks and general skill requirements for junior accountancy jobs.
The junior accountant position will vary from company to company and within different industries, however the key duties and responsibilities remain standard.
Adapt this job description for your own use.
Responsible for the general accounting function including preparing journal entries, maintaining balance sheet schedules and ledgers and account and bank reconciliations. Assisting with monthly closings and account analysis and supporting the senior accountant in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- prepare journal entries
- complete general ledger operations
- monthly closings and preparation of monthly financial statements
- reconcile and maintain balance sheet accounts
- draw up monthly financial reports
- prepare analysis of accounts as requested
- assist with year end closings
- administer accounts receivable and accounts payable
- prepare tax computations and returns
- assist in preparing budgets and forecasts
- assist with payroll administration
- monitor and resolve bank issues including fee anomalies and check differences
- account/bank reconciliations
- review and process expense reports
- assist with preparation and coordination of the audit process
- assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- knowledge of finance principles
- knowledge of financial reporting
- Knowledge of local, state and federal laws regarding accounting, finances and taxation
- technical accounting skills
- previous experience of general accounting
- proficiency in relevant accounting software
- attention to detail and accuracy
A comprehensive job description for the senior accountant job.
Full job description for an accounting clerk job.
Job-Winning Accounting Resume Resources