How to Configure GroupWise Message-Level Backups
- Last updated on 2017-06-01 13:44:57
The articles in this section refer to Barracuda Backup Legacy Release firmware or newer. and Novell NetWare Server and GroupWise 8 and 2012.
Barracuda Networks recommends ensuring the latest hotfixes, patches, and updates are installed on your data sources.
Set up your Novell NetWare Server to complete GroupWise message-level backups with a Barracuda Backup Server.
- NetWare Server 6.5 or greater
- GroupWise Server version 8 or greater
Configure the GroupWise Server
Use the following steps to configure the GroupWise Server:
- On a Microsoft Windows workstation where the Novell Client is installed, log in with an account that has access to the GroupWise primary domain database file wpdomain.db :
- Create an account to be used by the Barracuda Backup Server to access the email in each mailbox; the service account must be a member of either the Enterprise Administrators or Domain Administrators group.
Generate a GroupWise Trusted Key
A trusted application key allows a third-party program to authenticate to the post office agent (POA) or the Internet Agent and obtain GroupWise information that would otherwise be available only by logging in to GroupWise mailboxes. Starting with GroupWise 8 Support Pack 1, you can create a trusted application and its associated key in ConsoleOne for use with both Linux and Windows trusted applications.
Use the following steps to generate a trusted key:
- Open ConsoleOne. From the Tools menu, point to GroupWise System Operations. and click Trusted Applications :
- The Configure Trusted Applications dialog box displays. Click Create :
- The Edit Trusted Application dialog box displays:
- In the Name field, type Barracuda Backup. and enter a description for the trusted application in the Description field.
- Leave the TCP/IP Address field blank to allow the trusted application from any server, or, t o restrict the location from which the trusted application can run, click the Edit icon to the right of the field, and in the Edit Network Address dialog box, specify the IP address or DNS hostname of the trusted application server. Click OK to save your settings and close the dialog box.
- To require a secure (SSL) connection between the trusted application, POAs, and Internet Agents, select the Requires SSL check box.
- Click the Browse icon to the right of the Location for key file field, and browse to and select the directory where you want to create the trusted application key file.
- In the Name of Key File field, enter the trusted application key file name.
- Click OK to save the trusted application configuration information.
Add the GroupWise Server as a Data Source
- Log in to Barracuda Backup web interface, and select the associated Barracuda Backup Server in the left pane.
- Go to the Backup Sources page, and click Add a Computer .
- In the Computer Information section, enter the Netware Server description and hostname or IP address.
- From the Computer Type drop-down menu, select Novell Open Enterprise Server .
- In the Open Enterprise Server Computer Information section, enter the login credentials for the server.
- Click Save .
- On the Add Data Source page, enter a description for the data source, and from the Data Type drop-down menu, select Message-Level Backup (GroupWise) .
- In the Add to Schedule section, select an existing schedule from the drop-down menu, or click Add New to create a new schedule.
- In the Message-Level Backup (GroupWise) Information section, enter the GroupWise mailbox location in the Base Context field.
- In the Trusted Application Key field, paste the Trusted Application Key created in the previous section.
- You can optionally enter the e-Directory Server hostname or IP address.
- Click the Test GroupWise Connectivity to verify the connection.
- Click Save .
- Go to the selected schedule on the Backup Schedules page. In the Items to Back Up section, select the mailboxes you want to back up.
- Click Save .
This step is optional. You can optionally set up GroupWise to have all emails backed up by Barracuda Networks. This feature instructs GroupWise to not purge emails until Barracuda Backup has a backup copy of the email. For information on how to set up this feature, please view the GroupWise Administration Guide – Environment Options: Retention section  available on the Novell website.