The loss of a loved one touches each member of the family, including children. To help young people through their bereavement, Optimal Hospice Foundation created Kids Camp. This over-night summer camp program is specially designed for young people ages 8 – 16 that have experienced the loss of an loved one in the recent past.
At Kids Camp, young people enjoy traditional camping activities, such as swimming and hiking, in an atmosphere where both staff and fellow campers understand their special needs. Kids Camp is held in the Bakersfield, Fresno, and Northern California (LIvermore) areas and is open to the community – attendees loved one did not have to utilize hospice services. The Fresno Camp is held in mid July, Bakersfield in early August and NORCAL in mid August.
Optimal Hospice Foundation would like to recognize The Taylor Family Foundation for hosting our NORCAL Kids Camp held at The Taylor Family Foundation at Camp Arroyo in 2015 and again in 2016. The Taylor Family Foundation’s mission is to preserve the wellness and enhance the quality of life for children in Northern California with life-threatening and chronic illnesses, disabilities and youth at-risk through unique therapeutic experiences and support. For more information, please visit www.ttff.org. ion, please visit www.ttff.org.
This innovative experience is available at no cost to families, thanks to generous support from the community. Camp participants may be referred by school counselors, healthcare providers, family members and other individuals.
Click on the Kids Camp link below for a look at what Kids Camp has to offer. Activities vary from camp to camp based on the facility, however the essence and message is the same. The video was made possible via a grant from the Kern Community Foundation.
Kids Camp video
Dates and Locations
Referrals can be submitted year-round using the form below.
Thank you to our 2016 Sponsors and Donors
Without the support of our sponsors and donors this camp would not be possible
- American Legion Riders Chapter 20 Porterville – Courage Sponsor
- Bakersfield Purple Thunder – Courage Sponsor
- C.A.R.E. for Kids –Courage Sponsor
- Delta Theta Tau Sorority, Gamma XI Chapter Bakersfield– Courage Sponsor
- California Correctional Peace Officers Association (CCPOA) Wasco SP, California CI, North Kern SP, Kern Valley SP Cal City CI Chapters –Courage Sponsor
- Isnardi Foundation – Courage Sponsor
- Nick Hudson Family– Courage Sponsor
- The Taylor Family Foundation – Courage Sponsor
- Alternative Care – Hope Sponsor
- KGET TV 17 – Media Sponsor
- Bakersfield North Rotary Foundation – Strength Sponsor
- Kaiser Permanente Kern County – Strength Sponsor
- The Sommer Family- Strength Sponsor
- In Memory of Chris Malicoat – Friendship Sponsor
- Sebastian Corporation – Camper Sponsor
- Tom Linda Schubert – Camper Sponsor
- Robert Jamie Blair – Camper Sponsor
- David Doig – Camper Sponsor
- Karen Budnick, Robert S. Blair Shirley Green – Donors
- Bolthouse Farms and Doucette Farms – Food Donors
- Crest Bar Grill, Jersey Mike’s Subs, La Pizza Veloz, Fab 7 of Seven Oaks, Bakersfield Breakfast Lions, Bill Burgemaster, Optimal Hospice Care Staff Volunteers, Rusty’s Pizza – Meal Donors
- Project Linus Chapters – Kern County, Central Valley and Diablo Valley – Blanket Donors
- Somerford Place of Fresno – Pillow Donor