Preparation Tips for Your Life Insurance Medical Exam
When your insurer requires a life insurance medical exam. don t panic. Just follow these simple tips to make sure your exam yields the best possible results.
- Schedule a morning exam When arranging for your appointment, try to secure one as early in the day as possible even if that day falls on the weekend. Why? The early morning is when your body is least stressed.
- Avoid food At least 8, and preferably 12 hours before your life insurance medical exam, avoid eating anything. Another recommendation is to avoid salty, cholesterol-loaded or high-fat foods for a day or two prior to your exam.
- Drink water It s okay to drink water, and recommended an hour before you ll be asked to provide a urine sample. The only caution against this is if your insurer later requires specific additional tests that require fasting and no water for a specified amount of time. You will be advised if there are any restrictions on water consumption.
- Sleep well The night before your life insurance medical exam, it s important that you get the proper amount of sleep. Your body needs to be well-rested in order to achieve the best possible results during your exam. Do not take any medication to help you to sleep, however, as this will negatively affect your tests
- Avoid strenuous exercise The day before your exam, stay away from any strenuous physical exercise. This means no working out at the gym or playing touch football or anything that normally causes you to physically exert yourself to a greater degree.
- No alcohol Do not drink any alcoholic beverages for a full 24 hours before your exam.
- Steer clear of caffeine Drinks like coffee, lattes and espressos, soda and tea should not be consumed for several hours in advance of your exam.
- No tobacco Do not chew or smoke tobacco for 24 hours before your testing.
- No decongestants Similarly, do not take any decongestants for a full day (24 hours) prior to your health insurance exam.
On the Day of your Exam
You re well-rested, taken all the precautions, and now it s the day of your exam. Follow these additional five helpful tips to ensure you re doing all you can.
- Dress appropriately Wear a short sleeve shirt, blouse, sweater, etc. or a garment with long sleeves that can be rolled up. This is so your blood can be taken for the blood tests. By the way, to ease your mind, ask to see the seal on the needle so that you re assured the blood test is sterile.
- Bring medical records with you You ll need to have all your medical records, and information about doctors and health insurance available.
- Carry photo ID This ensures the insurer that the person who shows up for the life insurance medical exam is you.
- List of medications Have with you a list of all the medications you take, or have taken. Be sure to include any non-prescription or over-the-counter drugs as well. This is important, since taking something you haven t mentioned may skew the test results and not in your favor.
- Relax and remain calm This advice pertains to the entire life insurance medical exam, but is particularly important if an EKG is required. During an EKG, you ll be asked to lie on a table and leads will be placed on your chest to monitor electrical impulses in your heart. Relaxing and remaining calm will help prevent false readings due to muscle action.
The content on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not legal or professional advice. Advertised rates on this site are provided by the third party advertiser and not by us. We do not guarantee that the loan terms or rates listed on this site are the best terms or lowest rates available in the market. All lending decisions are determined by the lender and we do not guarantee approval, rates or terms for any lender or loan program. Not all applicants will be approved and individual loan terms may vary. Users are encouraged to use their best judgment in evaluating any third party services or advertisers on this site before submitting any information to any third party.
Finweb.com is an Internet Brands company.