Courses at Ayrshire College
College put on event Simply For Ayrshire Hospice
Ayrshire College students were delighted to once again deliver Ayrshire Hospice’s fantastic ‘Simply For You’ programme at the college’s Ayr campus.
‘Simply For You’ is an informal workshop designed to boost confidence and morale for ladies struggling with changes to their appearance.
Amid lots of fun, laughter and pampering, the Ayrshire Hospice ladies picked up a few style and colour tips from the students while enjoying the friendly support of other women facing similar challenges.
Students at Ayrshire College have been supporting the programme since 2014.
This year the Make-Up Artistry and Beauty students provided facials, hand care and make-up sessions, and colour analysis to the hospice women.
The day was a resounding success, summed up best by one of the ladies who attended. She said “I’ve had a great time! It’s been nice learning some new ideas from the young ones who are training. The Ayrshire Hospice team have been fantastic again.”
Lisa Flint, Curriculum Manager of Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapy and Make-up at Ayrshire College, said “We were delighted to hold our first ‘Simply for You’ programme at the Ayr campus. The relationship we have built over the past couple of years with the Ayrshire Hospice provides our learners with invaluable real-life experience whilst supporting our local community.
“I am extremely proud of the professionalism, knowledge and high standard of treatments the learners provided. They were true ambassadors for Ayrshire College and have gained more insight into the Ayrshire Hospice. The feedback from guests and students proved that this was a huge success and a very enjoyable day for all involved. We are looking forward to holding our next event.”
Share this post
Digital Running Records on Raz-Plus
With our Online Running Record tool, Raz-Plus or Raz-Kids members can:
- Assign and listen to recordings of Benchmark Passages and Books.
- Score recordings using an online running record tool.
BENCHMARK PASSAGES & RUNNING RECORDS
Find students’ instructional levels by assessing their reading skills with developmentally appropriate texts while recording reading behavior. Benchmark Passages are short text selections that are one part of a three-part process to help place students at their instructional levels for leveled reading sessions and to assess their readiness to progress to the next level.
Why Benchmark Passages
Benchmark Passages assess comprehension and reward students’ progress from level to level. They are one part of a three-part process that provides a more complete assessment of reading behavior and comprehension than any of the parts independently.
- Each level has 2 fiction and 2 nonfiction passages.
- Each level has at least 1 fiction-nonfiction passage pair on the same topic.
- Each passage uses a level-appropriate percentage of words from leveled books at that reading level.
- aa-E = 100%
- F-J = 95% + 5% new words
- K-Z = 90% + 10% new words
- The text of the entire passage is used in the Running Record.
- Most are one page long, but upper level passages can be two pages.
- ALL are available on Raz-Plus .
How to Use Benchmark Passages
- Give a student a Benchmark Passage he or she has never seen before to read aloud. If you prefer to use familiar text, use the fiction-nonfiction topic pair at each level. Use one passage from the pair to support a student’s understanding of the topic before assessing with the other passage.
- Record the student’s reading behavior using the passage’s Running Record form.
- If a student scores 90 percent, assess the student’s comprehension using a Quick Check from Level A-Z and Retelling Rubrics .
- If a student scores from 90%-94% percent on the running record and answers comprehension questions at 80%-100%, he or she is at an instructional level. (For more details, see About Running Records ).
- Use Benchmark WOWzers to reward students’ progress from level to level.
Features and Chart
- 2 7 words per line; 4.5 words average
- 1 line per page
- 30 55 words total
- Complete sentences
- Repetition of high-frequency words
- Repetitive pattern with one or two word changes per page
- Pattern may change on last page, such as a surprise ending
- Predictable language
- One-to-one text-to-picture correspondence
- Familiar topics
- Consistent text placement
- 10 pages
Big and Little
Ted Sees a Pond
Near the Pond
We Read About Animals
Sign up to receive our eNews, updates, and offers.
2017 LAZEL, Inc. All rights reserved. Learning A-Z, Headsprout, Raz-Kids, and Science A-Z are registered trademarks of LAZEL, Inc. Reading A-Z, ReadyTest A-Z, Vocabulary A-Z, and Writing A-Z are trademarks of LAZEL, Inc. Other trademarks, logos, and service marks used in this site are the property of LAZEL, Inc. or third parties.