Find Out How Much Something Will Cost
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Healthcare School Articles
How Much Does Ultrasound Technician Training School Cost?
Ultrasound Technician Training School Prices
Ultrasound technicians use special equipment to send high-frequency sound waves through a patient’s body. The sound waves are then turned into images that doctors use to assess and diagnose medical conditions.
When you think of an ultrasound technician, you probably associate the job with obstetrics. But, ultrasound technology has a variety of applications and is used to capture images throughout the body.
Ultrasound techs, also called diagnostic medical sonographers, command a good salary. According to a U.S. Department of Labor report, ultrasound takes often make approximately $50,000 to $75,000 per year.
About Ultrasound Technician Training
There are three basic types of certifications/degrees for ultrasound technicians:
- A certificate in sonography/ultrasound prepares students to sit for one of the national exams, which are required to find a job or apply for associate’s or bachelor’s programs.
- An associate’s degree of applied science in diagnostic sonography is required for most entry-level jobs. The program combines classroom instruction, lab work, and clinical externships. An associate’s degree is also a prerequisite to sit for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography exam.
- A bachelor’s degree of applied science in diagnostic sonography is usually not required for entry-level jobs. However, it is ideal for anyone who wants to pursue a management career. At this level of schooling, you can usually choose a specialty such as obstetrics or vascular sonography.
Make sure the school you choose is one of the nearly 200 accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. A full list of accredited schools is available here. You must have graduated from an accredited program to sit for the national exams.
Ultrasound Technician Training Average Costs
Sonography certificate and associate’s degree begin at several thousand dollars and range all the way up to $20,000 or more.
- Cypress College in California charges about $4,000 for its two-year program.
- The University of Maryland – Baltimore County charges nearly $18,000 for a one-year program.
A bachelor’s degree might cost $25,000 to $30,000 or more. Looked at another way, you can expect to pay anywhere from $75 to $500 per credit hour at most schools. In-state students will pay on the lower end of that price range while out-of-state and international students will pay on the higher end.
- Broward College in Florida charge $75.40 per credit hour for in-state students and $226.40 per credit hour for out-of-state students.
- Harper College in Illinois charges $465 per credit hour.
- George Washington University Center in D.C. – a highly regarded bachelor’s program – charges $1,227 per credit hour.
Receive Free Ultrasound Technician Education Information
Receive free information from the nation’s top ultrasound technician schools. Compare curriculum and tuition to get the best ultrasound technician training for you. It’s fast, easy, and free! Start now!
Prices for US only including: